Municipal recycling solutions.
State-of-the-Art Material Recovery Facility in Sunset Park, Brooklyn
New York City selected the 30th Street Pier in the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, as the location for a new state-of-the-art recycling facility to be built and operated by Sims Municipal Recycling. The facility opened in December 2013 and will process the majority of New York City’s commingled curbside material.
Sunset Park Material Recovery Facility - Photos
- In addition to serving as an anchor to the City’s curbside recycling program, the Sunset Park MRF incorporates many sustainable building features.
- The buildings are made almost entirely of recycled steel.
- The buildings, wharf, recycling equipment, and electrical substations were all raised 4’ in order to keep them from being damaged by sea level rise and storm surges.
- The site includes a 600 kW photovoltaic (solar power) installation.
- Stormwater is managed on-site with bio-swales, ponds and other landscape features.
- The City oversaw construction of three reefs off the west end of the pier. The reefs provide new habitat for marine life.
- In early 2014, the Recycling Education Center will be completed and open to the public and school groups.